5 Keepin' It Tidy Tips for your Home Office Space
1) Keep all the items you need within reach. This will keep your area stocked of all the items you need & you won't have them strewn through out the house.
If there is need for these items also elsewhere in your home then buy extras & keep them where those are most needed.
For example, if your desk is the only place there is a pair of scissors then you may have to go track them down when you are trying to work & need them which can lead to other distractions.
Your desk space should be equipped with ALL you need right there!
2) Have a trashcan, shredder, & recycling bin right at your desk. This will help you immediately discard of things that are trash, need to be shredded, or need to be recycled so it does not pile up on your desk. Then plan on tending to and/or emptying them once per week.
3) Take a pic of your tidy desk. If it's not tidy, then spend some time getting it organized then take a pic of how you would like it to look. Then either print the pic & put it near your desk (you can even laminate it) or just keep the pic on your phone or computer.
4) Set a timer for 15-30 minutes before the end of your work day to tidy everything back up. You can set this as a daily alarm on your phone. So if you end your workday at 5pm then set the alarm for 4:30 or 4:45pm on the days you work at your desk.
5) During those 15-30 minutes, put your desk/office area back to match the pic as best as you can. You can also create a checklist to use to ensure you don't miss any steps.
Tidying our desk is a habit you have to develop through consistency & repetition. This can take time, but it is so worth it so try to avoid wanting to fall back into the habit of not doing it especially if you're tired.
Remind yourself that it could just take 15-30 minutes of your time if you always stick with it or it could cost you hours of your time if you let it go.
Plus, it's great to be able to pick up and start fresh each day with a tidy desk, tidy office, which can help you have a tidy mind!